Tuesday, July 3, 2012

7.0 quake off coast of Opunake

Well, that certainly made my Tuesday evening a little more exciting than usual!

I would be mightily surprised if you didn't manage to notice that particular shake.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/3732830g.html lists it as magnitude 7.0, focal depth of 230km (so unlikely to generate a tsunami), and 60km south of Opunake, off the Taranaki Coast.

I've already had some reports from family & colleagues of things falling off shelves in Tawa & the Hutt Valley.  I'm quite chuffed that all my blu-tacking has done exactly what it was supposed to do, and I didn't lose anything but my dignity as I leapt from bed and was under the doorway before my brain caught up.

Please fill in the Felt Quake report in the link above, describe how the shaking felt in your area, and if you had any damage.

And if you are wondering how to better prepare yourself for events like that one, visit www.getthru.govt.nz

No comments: