Monday, July 26, 2010

Soggy Friday

It rained a bit on Friday, but I hadn't thought it was all that bad - obviously Porirua escaped the worst of it. Parts of Wellington didn't and the Wairarapa most certainly did not, with roads closed and communities isolated. A number of slips on the Johnsonville line stopped trains until the afternoon, there were slips on the Coast Road in Wainuiomata, Days Bay in Eastbourne, one in Kilbirnie that threatened houses, soime in Wadestown, another on Takapu Rd near Tawa (I just about drove into that one late at night, it hadn't been there when I went up the road - good thing I was driving to the conditions!).

In Wairarapa, the Huangarua and Ruamahanga Rivers burst their banks, the Ponatahi Bridge near Martinborough was under a foot of water overnight, and the communities of Tora and White Rock were cut off.

But as far as I'm aware, Porirua was a bit soggy, but otherwise unscathed?

No comments: