National Advisory - Earthquake
Issued at 13:25 hours on 22/02/2011
Issued by the Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (MCDEM).
Location: 10 km South-East of Christchurch
NZ origin time: NZDT 12:51 2011 Feb 22
Co-ordinates: (Latitude, Longitude) 43.60S, 172.71E
Depth: (Focal depth) 5km
Magnitude: (Richter Magnitude) 6.3The above magnitude is provisional and may be adjusted as more seismic data becomes available.
Damage Assessment:The Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (MCDEM) is assessing information with the assistance of scientific advisors and Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) Groups.
NCMC status: The National Crisis Management Centre is being activated.
Advice for the public. People in the affected area should:
· Expect aftershocks. Each time one is felt, drop, cover, and hold on.
· Check yourself first for injuries and get first aid if necessary before helping injured or trapped persons.
· Assess your home or workplace for damage. If the building appears unsafe get everyone out. Use the stairs, not an elevator and when outside, watch out for fallen power lines or broken gas lines. Stay out of damaged areas.
· Look for and extinguish small fires if it is safe to do so. Fire is a significant hazard following earthquakes.
· Listen to the radio for updated emergency information and instructions.
· Do not overload phone lines with non-emergency calls.
· Help people who require special assistance - infants, elderly people, those without transportation, families who may need additional help, people with disabilities, and the people who care for them.
Detailed safety advice will come from local authorities and emergency services in the area. People should act on it promptly.
MCDEM, local civil defence authorities and scientific advisors are closely monitoring the situation.This advisory has been issued to all local civil defence authorities, emergency services, other agencies and media.
Next steps: Further updates will be issued as information becomes available. This will be the only message issued using the National Warning System. Further updates will be communicated using normal means, including media releases.
Issued by: Message authorised by the National Controller, Civil Defence Emergency Management.
End of Message